New £200,000 Community Initiatives Fund launched by West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner to community and voluntary organisations to help overcome social effects of Coronavirus isolation
Following a surge in voluntary and community activity to help those self-isolating under COVID-19 restrictions, the West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner, David Jamieson, has made £200,000 available over the next six months, to help fund voluntary and community activity which supports people who’s wellbeing has been impacted by COVID-19.
The new Community Initiatives Fund which comes into effect on Monday 4th May 2020, will be funded from money which has been allocated from items seized from criminals under the Proceeds of Crime Act. Each year, the West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner invites local community groups to bid for a grant from the existing Active Citizens Fund which is money which must go into community projects and cannot be spent on recruiting Police officers.
Assistant Police and Crime Commissioner Waheed Saleem said:
“This really is a fantastic way to support, in a practical way all those people who are rapidly responding and organising in new ways to connect with each other within their communities. This includes online, providing practical and spiritual support, and using local supply chains.
“Through local community policing, I want to encourage and support community initiatives and networks that are enterprising. I want to hear from people about how they can provide new solutions to reach the vulnerable, protect them from threats and harm and to help them thrive despite the current restrictions”.
Community organisations can bid for funding up to £5,000.
Community Initiatives Fund Application Form
COMPLETED FORMS SHOULD BE RETURNED TO RELEVANT PARTNERSHIP TEAM FROM LIST BELOW:
- Birmingham: email@example.com
- Coventry: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dudley: Dy_partnerships_team@west-midlands.pnn.police.uk
- Sandwell: Sandwell_Partnerships@west-midlands.pnn.police.uk
- Solihull: SH_Partnerships@west-midlands.pnn.police.uk
- Walsall: Ws_partnerships@west-midlands.pnn.police.uk
- Wolverhampton: email@example.com
Application process timetable
- Funding launch May 3rd 2020
- Application deadline for submission to Partnership Inspector June 1st 2020
- Scrutiny Panel date: w/c June 8th 2020
- The Second tranche of funding is only available for projects in Birmingham, Sandwell, Solihull, Walsall and Wolverhampton
- Applications open July 1st 2020
- Application deadline for submission to Partnership Inspector August 3rd 2020
- Scrutiny Panel to meet w/c August 10th 2020
- Any under spend will be added to Active Citizens Fund which will be advertised and open with specific criteria at the start of September.