The Panel has a number of powers and responsibilities, including:
- Reviewing the draft Police and Crime Plan to ensure local priorities have been considered
- Scrutinising the Commissioner’s Annual Report
- Scrutinising the decisions and actions of the Commissioner
- Reviewing, and potentially vetoing, the Commissioner’s decision to either raise or lower council tax.
- Holding confirmation hearings for the proposed appointment of a Chief Constable, Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner and senior support staff
Full details of the work of the Police and Crime Panel, including reports and correspondence, can be found on their website.